Biscotti
Panache
Admin
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Movie/book/TV show recommendations Empty Movie/book/TV show recommendations

Post by Admin Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Inspired by discussion in the Youtube thread in Off-topic, we could start by posting our recommendations of movies, books and TV shows that don't have sexual imagery, and/or do place an emphasis on other forms of relationships, and/or honestly address the negatives of sex or romance.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Movie/book/TV show recommendations Empty Re: Movie/book/TV show recommendations

Post by Panache Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:18 pm

Razz Thank you for making this thread!
Panache
Panache

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:22 pm

A good place that explorers non-sexual relationships will always be "kids" media (By which I mean media that kids can enjoy but people of all-ages can enjoy and get things out of too)

I like A Series of Unfortunate Events (Book series). The main characters are siblings so there's nothing sexual between them.

And of course there's VIDEO GAMES. Those are rarely sexual. I do quite like Nintendo. Maybe we should start a vid-game reccomendation thread (For free online flash games and the like)

Loamhedge (A Redwall book) I remember had a pair of platonic travelers. (If your interested, the Redwall series you don't have to read in order. Some books are sequels to others but this isn't one of them.)

All I can think of at the moment.

Last edited by Biscotti on Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biscotti
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by SCH0206 Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:31 pm

I can recommend a few:

Spirited Away-An anime movie about a 10-year-old girl who has to survive working at a bathhouse run by spirits.  A boy spirit helps her along the way, and their relationship is purely platonic.

Tintin-A comic series about a journalist who is also a crime fighter.  His best friends are his dog Snowy and Captain Haddock. 

The Little Prince-A book about a prince with his own planet who meets and befriends a pilot, and learns the ups and downs of life.

That's all I can think of for now.

SCH0206

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverPure Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:34 pm

To name a few movies:
I, Robot
The Untouchables
Road to Perdition
In the Mouth of Madness
Soldier (1998)
War of the Worlds (2005)
The Land Before Time (1988)
Assault on Precinct 13 (1976)
Blood Diamond
The Andromeda Strain (1971)
ForeverPure
ForeverPure

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:58 pm

Some anime I could recommend:

Haibane Renmei: An anime about a group of winged humans of mysterious origins adapting to their new lives, and the friendships they built with each other.

Kino's Journey: The protagonist is largely a loner, who travels to many different outlandish worlds to solve problems, but vows to only stay for a few days at each.

One Piece: The protagonist is confirmed to have no interest in sexual nor romantic relationships, and there's no romance between any of the main characters, who are instead a tight-knit group of friends.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: This may be questionable because there is a lot of unresolved sexual tension between many of the characters, but the relationships are dysfunctional, and the source of many of the characters' suffering, and it isn't glamorized.

Attack on Titan: Focuses on familial relationships and comradeship, as the characters struggle to survive against the Titans.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbb1 Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:51 pm

Last edited by Sigh... on Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:43 pm; edited 5 times in total

Bobbb1

Back to top Go down

Post by SCH0206 Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:12 pm

☆x Pure Life x☆ wrote:I would never recommend any movies to anyone at all. Because same characters make "***-movies" in other movies. And alot of cartoons and movies has "hidden messages". Maybe it's not called "hidden massages", I don't know what it's called.

Some cartoons and movies are only created to brainwash people at young age. Here below I will take some examples:

Captain Hook (The bad character in the movie "Peter Pan")
Movie/book/TV show recommendations B1375d86cf827e516e14f298c7435372

Here is Captain Hook and the good character Peter Pan
Movie/book/TV show recommendations 448d4af17f76fbe61587e4af66f0707f

The bad character 'Scar' in the movie "The Lion King"
Movie/book/TV show recommendations 09a83c9b2cd8de350d5d612ddaf84324

This is Mufasa, the good lion who was killed by Scar
Movie/book/TV show recommendations CLRbMPaUsAAJLSE

The bad character Governor Ratcliffe in the movie "Pocahontas"
Movie/book/TV show recommendations 173px-John_Ratcliffe

The good character John Smith in the movie "Pocahontas"
Movie/book/TV show recommendations Johnsmith

Bad character in the movie "The little mermaid"
Movie/book/TV show recommendations Ee775f04b225fae4b4a3057a11829c76

The good character King Triton in the movie "The little mermaid"
Movie/book/TV show recommendations 2cb1aa8d04577d1bd46be347a177be8b

There are more, but I will not paste every one of them.

This is the original song "Arabian Nights" from the movie Aladdin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0Pf3SL6GKs

And this is the edited one.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvaMgi04oBQ

Disney movies has a bad effects on children, something which some people still don't take seriously.

What children learn from disney movies is for example, that pretty women are innocent and nice, ugly women are evil and cruel, that men with black beard/mustage is not to be trusted and other things which effects children when they grow up they may have a feeling of dislike for some types of people even if those they dislike are innocent and nice.

Some disney movies may not be sexual but they often has other bad messages to children.

For a couple of years ago, I lost all interests in all movies. I was thinking how fake everything was. The actors got paid while I got brainwashed by different messages which I wasn't even aware of. I don't wish anyone to watch movies. But if they do, that's their own choise. It's good to observe, to know what the real intention is behind the movies.

But I think I understand your intentions. But to me it's just doesn't feel right. Like for example an actor, she was in a movie where she was playing someone who had sex and same actor was in another movie meant to be for children. Even that video had an bad effect on children. I mean, she have done something bad by having "sex" in public on tv while teenagers have watched her at home, and maybe masturbated to it eww...

I don't want to watch those people who has destroyed mine and other peoples mind and character, so for this reason i will not mention any movies. But I will try to see if there is any good show out there..

Movies is something many people has grown up with so I guess it can be difficult to "survive" without it. I just wanted to say that it's possible to "survive" without movies. But if anyone watch it, that's your own choise.

I can see where you're coming from.  To tell you the truth, I only watch a handful of movies.  But, I don't think it's right to paint all movies with the same brush.  Not all films have bad messages.  You can find movies with good influences if you look hard enough.  (I do highly agree with the hypocrisy of actors who play in a film with a good message, then turn around and act in films with bad messages.) 

Anyway, you're free to not watch movies if you don't want to, and this thread isn't limited to movies.  Are you a reader?  I'm an avid reader (and story writer).  (I prefer to write and read, than watch films anyway.)  Do you have any favorite books with platonic themes?

SCH0206

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:29 pm

I can see what you mean too. Among the messages that many of the older Disney movies teach are: Gender nonconformity is bad (many villains are gender non-conforming, while the heroes aren't), not being conventionally attractive is bad, being a single woman is bad. That's actually why there are a lot of people who prefer the villains over the heroes in the older Disney movies.

The recent movies have started to go against these trends though. Frozen is great for focusing on the sisterly love between Anna and Elsa (mostly, though the movie could've done without the segment showing the trolls trying to pair Anna and Kristoff), Elsa isn't shamed for showing a lack of interest in relationships, nor does she end up paired with anyone at the end. The villain is conventionally attractive, going against the idea that conventionally attractive = good, not being conventionally attractive = bad.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbb1 Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:31 pm

Last edited by Sigh... on Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bobbb1

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:14 pm

One reeaallly annoying thing people do now days is treat media like it's a dictator of real life.
"If I put this "Queer-gray-ace-grey" character in my tv show everyone will be forced to accept this as a normal way of life."
Lgbt nerds try to do this and now if I see homosexuals pop up I can't help but see it as an annoying political move. (At least in kids/family shows)

I feel that some people here are doing this too. Were you brainwashed by things you saw when you were a little kid?
I'm still trying to find out if there's really a large dumb mass that eats up everything in the media.
Biscotti
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:27 pm

Biscotti wrote:One reeaallly annoying thing people do now days is treat media like it's a dictator of real life.
"If I put this "Queer-gray-ace-grey" character in my tv show everyone will be forced to accept this as a normal way of life."
Lgbt nerds try to do this and now if I see homosexuals pop up I can't help but see it as an annoying political move. (At least in kids/family shows)

I feel that some people here are doing this too. Were you brainwashed by things you saw when you were a little kid?
I'm still trying to find out if there's really a large dumb mass that eats up everything in the media.

Representation is an important issue, but a lot of efforts to be inclusive come off as insincere. For example, it's obvious when an LGBT character is introduced as a token LGBT character, who is still primarily or only defined by their gender and/or sexuality. Good representation is when a character well-rounded, and able to hold up their own story.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SCH0206 Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:32 pm

Biscotti wrote:One reeaallly annoying thing people do now days is treat media like it's a dictator of real life.
"If I put this "***-gray-ace-grey" character in my tv show everyone will be forced to accept this as a normal way of life."

I find that annoying, too, especially when it comes to young children.  For goodness sake, adults, stop pushing your pet agendas down their throats and let them be kids!

SCH0206

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:40 pm

How should the recommendation list be categorized once we get it organized? Would it be better to sort it by format (i.e: cartoon, live action TV, movie, book), or by the content (i.e: showcases platonic relationships, shows negatives to sex and/or romance, no sexual content)?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:36 am

Well to be honest I wasn't picturing a list, just a forum topic.
Maybe a list if they were explicitly antisexual.
But you can do a list if you want.
Biscotti
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Snowflake_ Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:13 am

☆x Pure Life x☆ wrote:

Some cartoons and movies are only created to brainwash people at young age. Here below I will take some examples:

Captain Hook (The bad character in the movie "Peter Pan")
Movie/book/TV show recommendations B1375d86cf827e516e14f298c7435372

Here is Captain Hook and the good character Peter Pan
Movie/book/TV show recommendations 448d4af17f76fbe61587e4af66f0707f

The bad character 'Scar' in the movie "The Lion King"
Movie/book/TV show recommendations 09a83c9b2cd8de350d5d612ddaf84324

This is Mufasa, the good lion who was killed by Scar
Movie/book/TV show recommendations CLRbMPaUsAAJLSE

The bad character Governor Ratcliffe in the movie "Pocahontas"
Movie/book/TV show recommendations 173px-John_Ratcliffe

The good character John Smith in the movie "Pocahontas"
Movie/book/TV show recommendations Johnsmith

Bad character in the movie "The little mermaid"
Movie/book/TV show recommendations Ee775f04b225fae4b4a3057a11829c76

The good character King Triton in the movie "The little mermaid"
Movie/book/TV show recommendations 2cb1aa8d04577d1bd46be347a177be8b

What children learn from disney movies (without them being aware of it) is for example, that pretty women are innocent and nice, ugly women are evil and cruel, that men with black beard/mustage is not to be trusted and other things which effects children when they grow up they may have a feeling of dislike for some types of people even if those they dislike are innocent and nice.

I really want to see what if Governor Ratcliffe is the good guy and John Smith is the bad guy.

I guess those children would still like John Smit.

LOL

I was thinking how fake everything was. The actors got paid while I got brainwashed by different messages which I wasn't even aware of.

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Why they should entertain you freely if they don't want to brainwash you?
Snowflake_
Snowflake_

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:29 am

Snowflake_ wrote:
Why they should entertain you freely if they don't want to brainwash you?
Because they don't do it freely and you generally pay them for a ticket or a dvd copy.
Biscotti
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Panache Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:15 am

Long post, brace yourself.

First of all I’ve got to recommend Aldous Huxley, because nobody does it like Huxley. The man is in a class by himself, and I suspect that a lot of what he has to say (including regarding sexual relationships) will resonate with a lot of antisexuals. I’d recommend starting with Brave New World. Though probably by the time you’re done with me I will have quoted his complete works to you, so you might not need to read him after all.

Also got to make mention of the movie Antisex. A whole movie about the movement! Not a hugely flattering portrayal, and weird Russian humor is weird, but still.

For media without any sexual relationships (and preferably, for me, without any limerent relationships), I’ve realized my memory is way too faulty to be able to report on that with any accuracy. I keep trying to think of things and keep second-guessing myself. The only thing I’ve seen that had no limerent-sexual relationships since I became antisexual and started consciously looking out for this trait, is the movie Smoke Signals. It was amazing. It could have gone that way over and over, and it didn’t. Strictly family relationships and friendships.

I heartily second Biscotti’s recommendation of children’s books and movies. There’s a lot of great children’s literature being written nowadays. They don’t feel dumbed-down or preachy; they’re just really awesome (and sometimes profound) stories, but without the sex and (most of the) violence. These book-award lists might make a jumping-off point for people if they aren’t that familiar with what’s coming out in children’s literature nowadays:
http://www.ala.org/alsc/awardsgrants/bookmedia

In most literature pre-WWI, the only characters who aren’t chaste are the bad guys (unless you’re specifically reading erotica), and virtually all nonfiction takes an antisexual stance wherever the subject comes up. If you need a respite from our media’s pro-sexual deluge, I’d recommend going to the old stuff. I don’t know whether it’s actually that much of an exaggeration to say you can read everything ever published in English that’s out of copyright and still extant for free online. My favorite places to find out-of-copyright books are:
Project Gutenberg:
https://www.gutenberg.org/
Archive.org, how I love thee:
https://archive.org/
Librivox has free audiobooks of out-of-copyright books read by volunteers:
https://librivox.org/
Litterature audio is the same sort of thing, but in French, if you happen to know French or want to learn French:
http://www.litteratureaudio.com/
Project Perseus has most of the canon of classical literature for free in the original Greek or Latin, and in English translation:
http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/collection?collection=Perseus:collection:Greco-Roman

Apparently other people disagree with this; however, in my experience Japanese media is a lot less sexualized than Western media. The sexual stuff is sort of confined to its own genre, and it’s possible to find a lot of works where sex and limerence just don’t enter the picture at all, which is almost impossible to find in Western media. So, personally, I recommend anime and manga: just make sure you’re choosing a non-sexualized genre, or, this being Japanese sexuality we’re talking here, it might be *ahem* special.

Overall I’d say science fiction and gothic literature tend to be less sexualized than other genres. Westerns might be as well, though I believe I’ve only read one western in my entire life (meep), so don’t quote me on that. Christian fiction doesn’t include sex; however, there tends to be a huge emphasis on falling in love and having (married) sex as the desirable relational default.

Nonfiction and documentaries are generally quite nonsexual, though of course it depends on the subject matter.

Negative portrayals of sex and limerence
Since I assume most of the people reading this are already antisexual, please check these out carefully before reading/watching to see if they’re going to be too disturbing/disgusting to be worth it.

Books
Jane Austen. Sense & Sensibility. (and movies)
Orson Scott Card. Lost Boys.
Marquis de Sade. 120 Days of Sodom. (and the movie, though I’ve never managed to stomach finishing it)
Emma Donoghue. Room.
Bret Easton Ellis. American Psycho and The Rules of Attraction. (and the movies)
Henry James. The Turn of the Screw (and movies and opera). Washington Square (and 1997 movie).
Stieg Larsson. Millennium series (The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo). (and movies)
Ira Levin. Rosemary’s Baby (and movie). The Stepford Wives (and 1975 movie).
John Ajvide Lindqvist. Let the Right One In (Let Me In). (and the movies, to a rather lesser extent)
Thomas Mann. Death in Venice. (and movie and opera)
Margaret Mitchell. Gone with the Wind. (and movie)
Vladimir Nabokov. Lolita. (also the two movies, moreso the Jeremy Irons version)
William Shakespeare. Romeo & Juliet. (and the many movies)

Movies
American Beauty
Basic Instinct (disappointing ending)
Body Heat
Capturing the Friedmans (documentary)
Closet Land
Dogtooth
Don Jon (sex addiction and limerence addiction!)
Fatal Attraction
The Great Happiness Space (documentary)
Harry + Max
The Ice Storm
Jake’s Closet
Jet Boy
Kill Bill
Kinsey (YMMV; I was left with a strong sex-negative reaction, and this was before I was antisexual)
Kissed
Kramer vs. Kramer
Leon: The Professional
Marnie
Monster
This Special Friendship
Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
Wild Things series

TV shows
The Borgias
Louie

Reality TV
Maury
Toddlers & Tiaras (a negative portrayal of sexualization)

Stand-up
Louis CK
Doug Stanhope: Deadbeat Hero (2004)

Sympathetic portrayal of a sex-repulsed main character:
Ian McEwan. On Chesil Beach.

Other positive portrayals of characters who don’t seem interested in limerent-sexual relationships:

Books
Susanna Clarke. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell.
Suzanne Collins. The Hunger Games series. (and movies)
Wilkie Collins. The Woman in White.
Arthur Conan Doyle. Sherlock Holmes series. (would also recommend the Jeremy Brett TV series and the BBC Sherlock)
Dorothy Gilman. Mrs. Pollifax series.
M.C.A. Hogarth. Mindtouch series.
Bailey Montagne. Knight and Wizard.
L.M. Montgomery. Anne of Green Gables. (and the mini-series)
George Moore. Albert Nobbs. (and movie)
William Shakespeare. Hamlet (and a negative portrayal of limerence). (and the many movies)
J.R.R. Tolkien. The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings series. (and movies)
P.G. Wodehouse. Jeeves & Wooster series. (and the TV series with Fry and Laurie)

Graphic novels
Alan Moore. V for Vendetta. (and movie and novelization)

Movies
Agora
Alien series
Amelie
Brave
Inception
The Secret of Nikola Tesla
Whale Rider

TV shows
Danger Man
Doctor Who
Father Ted
The Prisoner
Star Trek

Many of the above also contain some wonderful family relationships and friendships.

(More) favorite family relationships and friendships:
A lot of these stories include nonsexual nonlimerent partnered relationships, as I’ve definitely developed a soft spot for those.

Books
Sherman Alexie. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian. (siblings, parent-child, friends)
L. Frank Baum. The Wizard of Oz series. (and movie) (friends)
Alden Bell. The Reapers Are the Angels. (siblings)
Holly Black. The Darkest Part of the Forest. The Spiderwick Chronicles series. (siblings)
Bill Bryson. A Walk in the Woods. (friends) (nonfiction)
Frances Hodgson Burnett. Little Lord Fauntleroy (and 1980 movie) (parent-child, grandparent-grandchild). The Secret Garden (and the 1993 movie) (friends, cousins).
Christopher Paul Curtis. Bud, Not Buddy and companion The Mighty Miss Malone. The Watsons Go to Birmingham. (family relationships)
Aric Davis. The Fort. (friends, parent-child)
Charles Dickens. A Christmas Carol. (and the movies with George C. Scott and Patrick Stewart) (friends, parent-child, uncle-nephew)
Emma Donoghue. Room. (parent-child)
Alexandre Dumas. The Three Musketeers. (and the many movies) (friends)
George Eliot. Silas Marner. (and movie with Ben Kingsley). (parent-child)
Dorothy Canfield Fisher. Understood Betsy. (family relationships)
Nathaniel Hawthorne. The Scarlet Letter. (and 1979 mini-series) (parent child)
Beth Hoffman. Saving CeeCee Honeycutt. (friends)
Nick Hornby. About a Boy (and movie). (friends)
Shirley Jackson. We Have Always Lived in the Castle. (siblings)
Ursula K. Le Guin has all sorts of unconventional relationships in her books
Michael Lewis. The Blind Side. (and movie) (parent-child, siblings) (nonfiction)
Jeff Lindsay. Dexter series. (and the TV show) (siblings, parent-child)
Lois Lowry. The Giver. (friends)
Michelle Magorian. Goodnight, Mister Tom. (and movie) (parent-child)
John Milton. Paradise Lost. (enemies? quarreling besties?)
Sarah Rees Brennan. The Demon’s Lexicon series. (siblings)
J.K. Rowling. Harry Potter series. (and movies) (friends, parent-child)
Lionel Shriver. Big Brother (siblings). We Need to Talk About Kevin (and movie) (parent-child). (warning for depressing for both)
Kathryn Stockett. The Help. (and movie) (friends)
Anthony Trollope. The Chronicles of Barsetshire series. (and miniseries The Barchester Chronicles) (parent-child, siblings)
Mark Twain. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn. (friends)
Laura Ingalls Wilder. Little House series. (parent-child, siblings)
Virginia Woolf. Orlando. (and movie) (parent-child)
Jane Yolen and Robert J. Harris. Girl in a Cage. (friends)

Movies
Akeelah and the Bee (friends, parent-child)
Angela (siblings)
Any Day Now (parent-child)
Back to the Future series (friends, parent-child)
Benny & Joon (siblings)
The Best Years of Our Lives (friends, parent-child, uncle-nephew)
The Boondock Saints and The Boondock Saints II (siblings, parent-child, friends)
Brothers Grimm (siblings)
Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid (friends)
The Cabin in the Woods (friends)
Cat Ballou (friends)
Changeling (parent-child)
The Crocodiles (2009) (friends, parent-child)
The Defiant Ones (friends)
DreamKeeper (grandparent-grandchild, siblings)
Driving Miss Daisy (friends)
Enemy Mine (friends, parent-child)
Forbidden Games (friends)
Galaxy Quest (friends)
Get Smart (friends)
Ginger Snaps (siblings)
The Good Son (parent-child, cousins, aunt-nephew)
The Great Escape (friends)
Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters (siblings)
Hard Day’s Night, Help!, and the documentary series The Beatles Anthology (friends)
Hell in the Pacific (friends)
In Bruges (friends) (warning for sex and graphic violence)
The Incredibles (parent-child, siblings)
It’s a Wonderful Life (family relationships and friends)
The Kid (parent-child)
Labyrinth (1986)
Lawn Dogs (friends)
A League of Their Own (siblings, friends)
The Lives of Others (friends)
The Man from Nowhere (friends)
Martian Child (parent-child)
Marvel universe (siblings, friends)
Marx Brothers movies
The Nanny Diaries (parent-child, friends)
Night of the Living Dead (siblings)
Ocean’s Eleven series (friends)
The Odd Couple (friends)
Out of the Furnace (siblings, parent-child)
A Peck on the Cheek (parent-child)
Picnic at Hanging Rock (friends)
The Polar Express (friends)
Real Steel (parent-child)
The Road to El Dorado (friends, until limerence sets in)
School of Rock (friends)
Searching for Bobby Fischer (parent-child, friends)
Secondhand Lions (uncle-nephew)
Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (friends)
The Star Wagon (friends)
Star Wars series (friends, siblings, parent-child)
The Sting (friends)
Three Men and a Baby (parent-child, friends)
To Live (parent-child, siblings, grandparent-grandchild)
Tomboy (siblings, parent-child, friends)
Toy Story (friends)
Two Brothers (siblings)
Two of Us (friends)
Up! (friends)
The View Askewniverse series (friends) (warning for sexual talk, cussing, irreligion, violence, drugs, grossness, etc.)
Warrior (siblings)
You Can Count on Me (siblings, parent-child, uncle-nephew)

TV shows
A Bit of Fry & Laurie (friends)
Black Books (friends)
Firefly and the movie sequel Serenity (siblings, friends)
Heroes (siblings, friends)
Man from UNCLE (friends)
Numb3rs (siblings)
Prison Break (siblings, friends, parent-child, uncle-nephew)
Psych (friends, parent-child)
Raising Hope (parent-child, grandparent-grandchild)
Rocky and Bullwinkle (friends)
Six Feet Under (family relationships)
Supernatural (siblings, friends, parent-child)
3rd Rock from the Sun (friends)

Shorts
Cat Soup
Wallace & Gromit

Reality TV
Manor House and the related series (friends, family relationships)
Masterchef New Zealand Season 5 (friends, family relationships)

Anime and manga
Chi’s Sweet Home (parent-child, friends)
Death Note (friends, and messed-up friends) (also negative portrayal of limerence)
Hetalia (family? friends?)
Hikaru no Go (friends)

Comics
Charles Addams. Addams Family series. (family relationships)
Bill Waterson. Calvin & Hobbes. (friends)

Music
Tokio Hotel (siblings)
The Veronicas (siblings)

Many sources
Achilles & Patroclus (cousins)
Arthur & Merlin (friends)
Gilgamesh & Enkidu (friends)

Real life
Saint Benedict & Scholastica (siblings)
Antonio & Dianora Castracani (siblings)
Helen Keller & Annie Sullivan (friends)

Since people don’t seem interested in compiling an antisexual playlist, I’ll just list some songs that I get an antisexual vibe off of here:
Augie March. “One Crowded Hour.”
Avril Lavigne. “Don’t Tell Me.”
The Black-Eyed Peas. “Shut Up.” “Where Is the Love?”
Britney Spears. “Stronger.”
Emilie Autumn.
Fall Out Boy. “Young Volcanoes.”
Fergie. “Fergalicious.”
Florence and the Machine. “Howl.”
Good Charlotte. “I Don’t Wanna Be in Love.”
Hugo. “99 Problems.”
Imagine Dragons. “Ready Aim Fire.”
India Arie. “Private Party.”
J. Geils Band. “Centerfold.”
Jason Derulo. “Riding Solo.”
Kate Bush.
Lily Allen. “F### You.” “Hard Out Here.”
MC Hammer. “U Can’t Touch This.”
Meatloaf. “I’d Do Anything for Love.”
Ms Taken. “Puke in My Mouth.”
Pink. “Stupid Girls.” “U + Ur Hand.”
Pussycat Dolls. “I Don’t Need a Man.” “Wait a Minute.”
Tom Lehrer. “The Masochism Tango.”
3OH!3. “I’m Not Your Boyfriend Baby.”
Pocahontas – “Just Around the River Bend”

And some love songs that aren’t (or aren’t necessarily) limerent-sexual:
Aerosmith. “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing.”
Aly & AJ. “Never Far Behind.”
Avicii. “Hey Brother.”
The Beatles.
The Bee Gees. “Words.”
Bill Withers. “Lean On Me.”
Blue October. “Quiet Mind.”
Bryan Adams. “I Will Always Return.”
The Cab. “Angel with a Shotgun.”
Christina Milian. “Us Against the World.”
Colbie Caillat. “Realize.”
Coldplay. “Fix You.” “The Scientist.”
Cyndi Lauper. “True Colors.”
Davy Jones. “Your Personal Penguin.”
Demi Lovato. “Gift of a Friend.”
Diana Ross. “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough.”
Dixie Chicks. “Lullaby.”
A Fine Frenzy. “You Picked Me.”
George Strait. “I Just Want to Dance with You.”
Indigo Girls. “Power of Two.”
Ingrid Michaelson. “Parachute.”
Jason Mraz. “I Won’t Give Up.”
Kansas. “Carry on My Wayward Son.”
Katy Perry. “Unconditionally.”
The King’s Singers. “Lullabye (Goodnight My Angel).” “Lullay My Liking.”
Lady Antebellum. “Never Alone.”
Lucy Walsh. “Forever Since.”
Mister Rogers. “It’s You I Like.” “You Are My Friend You Are Special.”
Natalia Kills. “Wonderland.”
The National. “You Were a Kindness.”
Oasis. “Wonderwall.”
Paul Robeson. “Mighty Lak a Rose.”
Phil Collins. “Two Worlds.” “You’ll Be In My Heart.”
The Proclaimers. “500 Miles.”
Pussycat Dolls. “Stickwitu.”
Radical Face. “Always Gold.”
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus. “Your Guardian Angel.”
Regina Spektor. “The Call.”
Rihanna. “Umbrella.”
Sarah McLachlan. “Good Enough.”
Secret Garden. “Sleepsong.”
Simon and Garfunkel. “Bridge Over Troubled Water.”
Snow Patrol. “Chasing Cars.”
Stephen Lynch. “Grow Old with You.”
Tatu. “Not Gonna Get Us.”
Taylor Swift. “Safe and Sound.” “You Belong with Me.”
Tom Odell. “Another Love.”
The Cuppycake Song.

The most romantic (as in, gestures that speak love to a person, not as in limerence) movie I’ve ever seen is The Next Three Days. Jesus, that’s real love in my book. Walls of crazy and breaking the law: it must be true love. Razz

If anyone would like to make me any recommendations based on what they see I like, I would love that. They don’t have to be free of limerent-sexual relationships, just preferably with an emphasis on other things. I’m especially a sucker for dark atmospheric fantasy, though I enjoy most genres. The only genre I really can’t handle at all is war; I find it too upsetting (fantasy type sword-and-sorcery battles are fine, as are space battles; it’s militarized things that get to me). Most anything else is good.

Biscotti, I hadn’t realized video games are generally free of all the limerent-sexual issues, but that’s so right. Thinking about that’s gotten me more interested in getting into video games. I’ve never really played any, though I’ve watched other people play some and I’ve really enjoyed:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Don’t Starve
Gabriel Knight
Half-Life and Portal
Hamsterball I believe it was called?
Limbo
Minecraft challenge worlds
An online game I believe was called Motherload
Some of the Nancy Drews
World of Goo
Zoombinis
The 7th Guest
One I can’t remember the name of, that had a sort of gothic-steampunk style I really liked, I believe it was 2D platforming, with a squat little Victorian gentleman who floated with his umbrella

Could any of you give me any recommendations based on those? Though with the added consideration that I probably couldn’t handle Half-Life-level militarization nowadays, though I loved watching the game at one time. Seeing this list I guess I go for dark, creepy, steampunk-y, and puzzles. And cute hamsters flying off rainbow-colored tracks at high speed.

flower
Panache
Panache

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:26 pm

Amazing work with that list, Panache! You've put a lot of time and research into it! Very Happy

I don't play a lot of games either, but it seems like you prefer generally more puzzle-like games. As for games with creepy themes, how about Plants vs. Zombies? flower

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:32 pm

I got to give props to the Zoombinis, that's a classic. There were eventually 2 sequels, I thought the first one was too long, second too short and third just right. Also the original game got remade for phones or something recently. (Like in the past week or two)

World of Goo creators made another game called Little Inferno if you liked the style (The gameplay and genre is different)

For puzzle games try Professor Layton (Which is a DS/3DS series. Also I haven't played it, just seen my friends play parts of it, but it looks good.)
It would be helpful to know what platforms you have access to. (As in 3DS, PSP, Xbox, PS, WiiU, N64)
Biscotti
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:14 pm

Also going to do a dump on my favourite free browser time-wasting games.

http://fizzd.itch.io/rhythm-doctor
Nice rhythm game. Only a few levels but they're fun.

http://armorgames.com/author/John
I like this guy's games. There's a lot of them I haven't even played them all, if you need a starting point try his "Acheivment unlocked" series, his "This is the only level" series, or the following links http://armorgames.com/play/6740/treadmillasaurus-rex
http://armorgames.com/play/12247/coinbox-hero
Many of his games can kill a few hours.

And a really fun platformer. My favourite Mario fan-game Super Mario 63
http://runouw.com/games/sm63/
I really like the level design, production value and size of the game. (Though at certain point the controls may seem slippery) Still my favourite. Like I said it's pretty long could take you a few weeks if you just play a few levels a day.
Biscotti
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:46 pm

Those look fun! Another free browser game is 2048: http://gabrielecirulli.github.io/2048/

It's a puzzle game arranging tiles of the same number so they will double, with the goal of getting a title of 2048. I found it to be a very effective way to kill the time!

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Panache Sat Sep 12, 2015 10:58 am

Admin wrote:Those look fun! Another free browser game is 2048: http://gabrielecirulli.github.io/2048/

It's a puzzle game arranging tiles of the same number so they will double, with the goal of getting a title of 2048. I found it to be a very effective way to kill the time!
Oh my God this thing is like catnip. Guess what's been occupying my every spare moment? Suspect

Admin and Biscotti thank you so much for the recommendations! I definitely want to check all of those out.

Hold down the Fort while I make this thing bend to my will (maybe...).  Razz
Panache
Panache

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:43 pm

Panache wrote:
Admin wrote:Those look fun! Another free browser game is 2048: http://gabrielecirulli.github.io/2048/

Oh my God this thing is like catnip. Guess what's been occupying my every spare moment? Suspect

Admin and Biscotti thank you so much for the recommendations! I definitely want to check all of those out.

Hold down the Fort while I make this thing bend to my will (maybe...).  Razz
It sure is easy to get hooked on that game! Last year, someone introduced me to it, and I was hooked right away. I had just recently found it again.

Do you need me to hold down the FORTRESS while you're playing the game? Razz

A movie I could add to the recommendations is Monsters vs. Aliens.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:24 pm

The latest doctor who episode had a line that antisexuals might appreciate.
Saying anything more would be huge spoilers to anyone who isn't completely caught up though :p
Biscotti
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next