Is sex really repressed? Why would there be 7 billion (give or take) humans if it were repressed?

5 posters

Go down

Is sex really repressed? Why would there be 7 billion (give or take) humans if it were repressed? Empty Is sex really repressed? Why would there be 7 billion (give or take) humans if it were repressed?

Post by Pravotoop Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:54 am

Reading some posts on here made me realize that, while I always viewed sex as a poorly shunted 'taboo'. (As in, 'don't talk about it in public but... totally talk about it in public'), maybe... it's NOT actually repressed.

I mean, now thinking about it, sexual advertising, sexualized video game characters, all of these topics, and ideas, are COMMON and MAINSTREAM.

Sexual assault happens a lot more than reported by people, giving the appearance of repressed sexuality, but... I'm starting to see that sex is NOT a repressed topic.

(To clarify, I mean that people think of lack of 'visible' sexual assault crimes as 'evidence' against its prevalence. They use this to justify their beliefs about sexuality.)

Last edited by Pravotoop on Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:20 am; edited 2 times in total

Pravotoop

Back to top Go down

Is sex really repressed? Why would there be 7 billion (give or take) humans if it were repressed? Empty Re: Is sex really repressed? Why would there be 7 billion (give or take) humans if it were repressed?

Post by SCH0206 Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:40 am

That's what I find annoying about many sexuals, the fact that they contradict themselves. How can you advertise something while claiming it's a private matter? You can't have it both ways.

SCH0206

Back to top Go down

Is sex really repressed? Why would there be 7 billion (give or take) humans if it were repressed? Empty Re: Is sex really repressed? Why would there be 7 billion (give or take) humans if it were repressed?

Post by Pravotoop Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:18 am

I just 'coined' a new term - instead of sex-negative or sex-positive, how about sex-critical? A sexual 'revolution' with the purpose of being CRITICAL of sex.

Pravotoop

Back to top Go down

Post by SCH0206 Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:21 am

Oh, that is pretty clever.

SCH0206

Back to top Go down

Post by Pravotoop Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:30 am

Of course, it could be considered pandering to the mainstream, and... that could go very wrong.

But there's also a need to ease people into these movements. We need an attract mode, like an old arcade cabinet. That way, this movement can really take off.

Pravotoop

Back to top Go down

Post by Dace Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:40 pm

This is something I run into all the time when trying to explain the hyper-sexualization of society. People always bring up the "well I think it's the opposite, there's too much sexual repression going on." I have literally said to people "since when?" They always point back to ye olde times of their youth and such, or point to puritanical ideologies of the 17th century. They think that just because people aren't out having sex in the park that we're living in a totally sexually repressed society. I'm like, give me a break.

Dace

Back to top Go down

Post by Nachtleuchten Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Dace wrote:They think that just because people aren't out having sex in the park that we're living in a totally sexually repressed society. I'm like, give me a break.

Exactly!

Nachtleuchten

Back to top Go down

Post by SlagToccata Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:26 pm

Pravotoop wrote:I just 'coined' a new term - instead of sex-negative or sex-positive, how about sex-critical? A sexual 'revolution' with the purpose of being CRITICAL of sex.
I'll consider using that term, though I don't think it's much different than "sex-negative". It's not as if sex-negative people suddenly gain the ability to make it all stop. I'd be on board for that revolution, though.

As for the main topic, nothing to add. It's not repressed. Walk into a church or conservative household and it will be for a bit, but not anymore the second you walk out.
SlagToccata
SlagToccata

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum