Artistry/creativity

Go down

Artistry/creativity

Post by Biscotti on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:45 pm

I'm aware people on this forum have fields of study they're interested in, but not so much people's art skills. Do members on this forum have art skills they'd like to talk about?

I've been into media remixing, story-writing, video-game making, and miscellaneous other thought-exercises (Party planning, theme park imagineering, kickstarter ideas, prank ideas). But my stories are usually analytical satire, not "poetry" which often is hard to figure out the mentality behind (I'm not an expert at poetry)
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Re: Artistry/creativity

Post by SCH0206 on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:58 am

I like to do creative writing in my spare time. I, too, am not into poetry very much even though I've written some acrostics.

SCH0206

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverPure on Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:15 pm

Game design, only as a hobby though.
ForeverPure

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti on Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:04 am

I like to do creative writing in my spare time. I, too, am not into poetry very much even though I've written some acrostics.
Cool, I mean I could do poetry, but not on the spot. Creative Writing is fun. November is NaNoWriMo.

Game design, only as a hobby though.
That's pretty cool. Board games? Video games? I had a video game idea, but it requires knowledge of making 3d games. (I've made multiple 2D games and one 3D "game") And on top of that the amount of content is very extensive.

It's just a dream, maybe someday. 
Spoiler:

Two main features of the game

One: The amount of worlds is very varied. And they're selected primarily randomly (With an algorithm to prefer levels that the user hasn't beaten and that may tie into whether you've unlocked abilities needed for it). Some worlds you may be able to "die" on, but instead of dying you just get sent to another randomly-selected world. The gameplay of the worlds can range from a quest-line to a platforming world. And there IS story justification for these things.
Aside from the randomness there are fixed story events at certain points in the game (Measured by how many "goal items" you've collected)

Two: Imagine a handheld gaming device with a touch screen. But instead of a stylus, it has a pair of tweezers that allow you to grab sprites off the screen and pull into reality.
Obviously this isn't feasibly in real life. But in the game, it's a thing. Aside from the "main" game you can pull up a game device inside the game that has "retro" games based on old game/genres.
On the technical side you could at any-point use "tweezers" to pull any sprite off the screen into a 3D model that could interact with the main game to solve puzzles. Some sprites you may have to play through a few levels to get to (Trees only appear in level 3 of game X for example)
The system goes both ways though, as in the main world you could collect cartridges to unlock more 'retro' games.
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Aztec12 on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:51 am

Was going to be a game developer said everyday in my entire middle to half my high school. But i don't know anymore. I don't have art skills sadly maybe someday. Dreams never die.

Also I wouldn't put your ideas down in less you ok with them being stolen since this the internet. Just saying 

Do like to create though but like I said their not very good and should never be called art.
Aztec12

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti on Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:42 pm

Well if they're to be stolen, reworked, or borrowed from I'd rather it be antisexuals. I don't think it's feasible for me anyway.

Aztec, even if you don't think it's the best path to become a game developer as a job, it's still very easy nowadays to get into as a hobby. 
-Download Unity. It's free and easy to make games in and export as an .exe. Heck you could also use it for apps or animations.
-See if there are any "game jams" around your area. "Game jams" are events where you have the weekend to make a game based on a theme. And on top of that you can meet other talented people at those events (To possibly fill in those skills you think you lack)
-There are other applications besides unity you can try. I've heard good things about Gamemaker studio (Primarily for 2D games). Blender, scratch and flash are other apps I know of, but I don't think they're popular anymore.
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti on Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:26 pm

I recently saw this

video.
It was a reminder of something. I used to think like this guy. He attributes his creativity to boredom, and I won't argue that, as when I was most creative it was in high school. All the downtime, same place every day, not under threat of being fired if I stepped out of line, had to think out of the box to entertain.
One time I remember during valentines day, the school put up a poster that said "Love is..." at the top, letting people fill in their own responses. So me and a friend put together a scheme to put up another poster (without getting permission) the next month that said "Fidel Castro is..." (We had recently watched a documentary on him in History class). It was just an open-ended prank. Only thing we didn't account for was people putting innapropriate responses up there.

Open-ended things that trigger discussion is something I like in art though, in the video the man put up abstract music in a museum, that would in-turn get intrepreted by musicians.

Another idea I had was to get some of that blue tape, and a candy bar, and just tape the candy bar to the wall of a school hallway. Concealing it so that you weren't sure what was underneath the tape (People might assume it's just a light-switch). Then seeing how long it stays up there uncovered. I'm not sure why I chose a candy bar, as finding a random candy bar is probably going to be weird enough that they aren't going to eat it anyway. But it's up to who finds it.

Too pretentious? Prefer something with more thought and direction? Does anyone else get bored? Is boredom still a thing with all of todays distractions? (In school see, phones weren't allowed. Maybe that's the missing ingredient.) Could spontaneous in-the-moment ideas help with other parts of your life?
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by SCH0206 on Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:06 pm

Everyone experiences boredom, but the problem is that some people think it's a bad thing and want to be entertained every waking second. Being bored, in my opinion, stimulates creativity because when you're not doing anything for the moment, your brain cells are put to work to conjure ideas for work or hobbies.

That tape/candy bar project was weird, but in a good way. I would've removed the tape and eaten the candy if I knew it was a candy bar and it was unopened. Smile

SCH0206

Back to top Go down

Post by AzureSky on Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:47 pm

I'm personally working towards Illustration (maybe scientific illustration?) on a professional level. Though I tend to work on the more commercial, technical side of art, I think this still counts? I also do writing in my spare time, and I'm planning on making a webcomic at some point. I have a few national level art contests I'm planning to aim for in order to boost my portfolio for illustration, so I'll see how that goes. I'm also working on getting online portfolios set up so I can start to gain some interest.

I'm trying to teach myself music composition, but can't seem to find many online resources on it, and I'm not too good at it unfortunately.

That's about all I do. I do enjoy working on story conceptuals quite a bit in my spare time.
AzureSky

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti on Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:47 pm

I'm trying to teach myself music composition, but can't seem to find many online resources on it, and I'm not too good at it unfortunately.

Musescore was one my composer friend used. But i prefer
http://boscaceoil.net/ because it's fast/easy (Once you learn the controls)

But here's some more, that I have not used and have no knowledge about
http://milkytracker.titandemo.org/
http://www.warmplace.ru/soft/sunvox/
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down