Writing sexual characters

Go down

Writing sexual characters

Post by Biscotti on Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:50 pm

Is it possible? Absoultely not!
Does anyone here write? I do write, never about sexuality though, thus pretty much all my characters are asexual to a degree.
Is this a writing handicap? Oh yes probably, just because you don't agree with a line of thinking doesn't mean you can't write for it.
So take all your characters, give them the mental disability of "sexual attraction" then compromize any close opposite-sex relationships with the disease in full force. Now there, we have it all fixed, very realistic, very marketable and very good yes yes.

Actually now that I typed it out, it actually sounds doable. Maybe. Maybe not. Maybe.

Anyway I think I started thinking of this topic several months ago when I read a romance book. The reason I read the romance book was because it was written by one of my favourite authors so I thought I'd give it a chance. I didn't get past the 3rd chapter. Actually I did because I'm a completionist but I didn't go onto the 4th one.
It was scalding, it was told in first person and regularly portrayed sexual attraction/activity, I just couldn't identify. But mainly I found it offensive since the book was supposed to be aimed at teenagers.

Anyway as a final note if my writing style here is annoying to read, slap me.
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Re: Writing sexual characters

Post by Admin on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:11 pm

I write, but I don't bother writing about any story arcs related to sex, partly because it doesn't appeal to me, and because I think it'd detract from the plot. I don't think it's limiting since stories in just about any genre of fiction won't suffer from the lack of scenes focusing on sexual relationships. On the other hand, it's limiting to not be able to have any characters that aren't paired up, and not have a man and woman who are friends stay friends!
Admin
Admin

https://fortressresistingsexualsociety.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SCH0206 on Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:33 pm

I write fiction, too, and my stories focus on platonic relationships.

About a few months ago, I tried a hand at fiction ghostwriting for pay. I was put on a list while the person who was recruiting writers tried to find clients with platonic story outlines. Unfortunately, she couldn't find any, and I was taken off the list since nearly all of them required romance in their story ideas. I found it disheartening, but at least I get to write what I like, even if it's for free. I don't get why many people yearn for romance in stories, too, since I feel they don't add much to plots. My friend in Iowa likes romance, and teases me for despising it. (She does it in a good-natured way, not in a mean way, otherwise I don't think I would continue to be friends with her.) I like how she doesn't hold that against me.

SCH0206

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down