What's your opinion on euthanasia?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What's your opinion on euthanasia?

Post by ForeverPure on Tue May 19, 2015 7:00 pm

Assisted suicide will become decriminalized in all of Canada by February 5, 2016 at the latest. Many other countries, mostly European have adapted similar stances. What's your overall stance on euthanasia?

My opinion on euthanasia is that the right to die (as peacefully as possible) is a natural right and preventing an individual from exercising their right would be a violation of natural law. If a breeder does not need permission to bring me into the world, then I do not need any permission to exit it. That saying, I believe that all individuals have a right to a peaceful death, no questions asked - no matter what.

Having the right to die would give many a great amount of relief knowing that they can prevent being tortured by exercising their right to a peaceful exit. Since torture itself is highly subjective, what is "considered" torture can only be truly determined by an individual. No form of stimuli should be forced onto anyone.
ForeverPure

Back to top Go down

Re: What's your opinion on euthanasia?

Post by x Nacht Klaue x on Wed May 20, 2015 8:54 pm

Whether someone is for or against euthanasia depends on their belief in life after death. I believe in God and what He has said, those who kill themselves will not be in a good situation in the hereafter. We don't believe that those who kill themselves will be free from their suffering, rather we believe they will have it much worse because they, by killing themselves, have denied the One who has created us and the life in the hereafter. So yea, the answer to the question depends whether someone is believer or atheist.
x Nacht Klaue x

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed May 20, 2015 9:19 pm

Is it contradictory to favor euthanasia/assisted suicide in a certain situation, but also tried to save someone from attempting suicide? This person I tried to save thought there was no way out of his situation, and that the pain of living was unbearable, but I saw that there was a solution to his problems and that he could live.

The certain situation I'm referring to is if someone is very ill, in a lot of pain, feel like they have no quality of life, and knows that their condition won't improve; those who'd rather die quickly at their own hands, than die a slow and painful death from their illness.
Admin
Admin

https://fortressresistingsexualsociety.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SCH0206 on Wed May 20, 2015 9:48 pm

I don't think it's contradictory to favor euthanasia for an incurable illness verses preventing a physically healthy person from committing suicide.  There's a difference between a terminal illness and being in emotional pain, but having good physical health.  Unlike a terminal illness, one can seek out counseling to quell their sadness.  I should know because I felt suicidal in my teens as a result of being picked on a lot and being in a dysfunctional household.  I'm not sure what stopped me, but I'm glad I didn't go that route even though I struggle with an inferiority complex every now and then.

As it's related to an illness, I believe it should only be used as a last resort.  I had to put down a cat because she had a malignant tumor.  I didn't want to do it, but there was no other choice.  On an upside, though, the cat I have now had a bout with kidney failure, and euthanasia was almost in store for him if he didn't respond to treatments.  After several months of medicine and liquid therapy, he recovered and returned to his old self.  (He was only two at the time, and I know I will have to deal with his death sooner or later, but that would have been too soon.)  I'm glad that the treatments worked, or he wouldn't be with me today.

SCH0206

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverPure on Thu May 21, 2015 5:46 am

Pure Life wrote:So yea, the answer to the question depends whether someone is believer or atheist.

Not all religions oppose euthanasia - the same can be said for Christians.

@SCH0206 wrote:There's a difference between a terminal illness and being in emotional pain, but having good physical health.  Unlike a terminal illness, one can seek out counseling to quell their sadness.

What about an illness that causes long-term pain, but does not kill the victim? Are they doomed to feel chronic pain for the rest of their lives?

It comes down to the whether or not you believe in the right to not experience stimuli. I find it common to hear about adolescents abusing drugs because they are trying to escape their reality. Should they be forced to face their reality - regardless of how much pain it causes them?

I am totally against the abuse of drugs, and have never used illicit substances myself, but if the individual is using the drugs as pain relief - I can forgive them for the fact that they are not using it purely for recreational purposes.

@SCH0206 wrote:Unlike a terminal illness, one can seek out counseling to quell their sadness.  I should know because I felt suicidal in my teens as a result of being picked on a lot and being in a dysfunctional household.  I'm not sure what stopped me, but I'm glad I didn't go that route even though I struggle with an inferiority complex every now and then.

What if counselling, therapy and even antidepressants do not help? What if the individual is still in a great amount of emotional pain? A soldier or a rape victim who has experienced deep traumatic stress - should they be forced to bear their painful memories until aging kills them?

I myself, suffer from chronic irritable bowel syndrome, which cannot be cured and in my case has not been lessened by any of the available treatments. I am to wait either for an unknown cure to be found or a more effective treatment to be invented - or for euthanasia in my country to be legalized. In the past, I feared death, but now, I fear only pain - seeing death as a peaceful eternal sleep for all.
ForeverPure

Back to top Go down

Post by SCH0206 on Thu May 21, 2015 7:06 am

ForeverPure, you ask a lot of thought-provoking questions which I have to admit that I don't have concrete answers for. All I can say is that I hope that depressed individuals, especially minors, can find some healing, but I can't make them not commit suicide. I also hope you find an effective treatment for your condition even though I can't stop you from taking the euthanasia route.

SCH0206

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri May 22, 2015 6:02 pm

@ForeverPure wrote:
What about an illness that causes long-term pain, but does not kill the victim? Are they doomed to feel chronic pain for the rest of their lives?

I understand that you said that you have a chronic condition that causes a lot of pain, and hasn't responded to any treatments. I hope it's not too insensitive to ask, but do you feel like you still have a quality of life despite that pain?

It comes down to the whether or not you believe in the right to not experience stimuli. I find it common to hear about adolescents abusing drugs because they are trying to escape their reality. Should they be forced to face their reality - regardless of how much pain it causes them?

I am totally against the abuse of drugs, and have never used illicit substances myself, but if the individual is using the drugs as pain relief - I can forgive them for the fact that they are not using it purely for recreational purposes.

That's a difficult situation. They'll never be able to solve their problems if they keep escaping their reality, but some only have a chance at overcoming their pain by confronting reality head on. I'm also against drug abuse, but I can't shame someone if their reason for turning to it is to escape the pain in their lives, because they couldn't find any other way to cope.

@SCH0206 wrote:I don't think it's contradictory to favor euthanasia for an incurable illness verses preventing a physically healthy person from committing suicide.  There's a difference between a terminal illness and being in emotional pain, but having good physical health.  Unlike a terminal illness, one can seek out counseling to quell their sadness.  I should know because I felt suicidal in my teens as a result of being picked on a lot and being in a dysfunctional household.  I'm not sure what stopped me, but I'm glad I didn't go that route even though I struggle with an inferiority complex every now and then.

I'm sorry to hear that you've struggled with suicidal ideation in the past, but I'm glad you recovered from it! Glad to know that supporting euthanasia under some circumstances isn't contradictory with trying to save people from suicide. I was worried that was contradictory.

As it's related to an illness, I believe it should only be used as a last resort.  I had to put down a cat because she had a malignant tumor.  I didn't want to do it, but there was no other choice.  On an upside, though, the cat I have now had a bout with kidney failure, and euthanasia was almost in store for him if he didn't respond to treatments.  After several months of medicine and liquid therapy, he recovered and returned to his old self.  (He was only two at the time, and I know I will have to deal with his death sooner or later, but that would have been too soon.)  I'm glad that the treatments worked, or he wouldn't be with me today.

My condolences on losing one of your cats. Sad I also see euthanasia as a last resort, and I've had to have some pets put down, rather than have them die slowly and painfully. I'm glad that your other cat is doing better, and recovered.
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverPure on Fri May 22, 2015 7:21 pm

@Admin wrote:
@ForeverPure wrote:

I understand that you said that you have a chronic condition that causes a lot of pain, and hasn't responded to any treatments. I hope it's not too insensitive to ask, but do you feel like you still have a quality of life despite that pain?

I am luckier than most to have financial support, which does in someway help lessen the pain. However, if given the chance of a peaceful death, I would take it unquestionably. When I was younger, I never thought constipation would drastically change my view of life, but it has and I curse my parents for creating me when they had the opportunity to adopt a child in need instead.

I used to want to live forever, until living forever meant living with pain - which is simply not worth it. No television program, no movie, no type of food or drink will make it go away. It does not matter if I believe in a God or not, it does not matter if I try "thinking it away".

The absolute only time I get some measure of freedom from the pain is when I am asleep - and if death is similar to this, then death is where I ultimately wish to be - without of course further causing more pain to myself. Killing yourself is one thing, dying peacefully is a far, far greater challenge. I do not want to die in a manner that harms an innocent, such as a conductor witnessing the unsightly death on railroad tracks.

@Admin wrote:Glad to know that supporting euthanasia under some circumstances isn't contradictory with trying to save people from suicide. I was worried that was contradictory.

I can understand preventing an act of suicide that is in public, but a private act that does not directly harm another is a human rights violation in my view. If someone literally went to the effort of physically preventing my own euthanasia, I would view that as prolonging my suffering - suffice to say, I would be one upset chump.
ForeverPure

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:53 pm

@ForeverPure wrote:
@Admin wrote:
@ForeverPure wrote:

I am luckier than most to have financial support, which does in someway help lessen the pain. However, if given the chance of a peaceful death, I would take it unquestionably. When I was younger, I never thought constipation would drastically change my view of life, but it has and I curse my parents for creating me when they had the opportunity to adopt a child in need instead.

I used to want to live forever, until living forever meant living with pain - which is simply not worth it. No television program, no movie, no type of food or drink will make it go away. It does not matter if I believe in a God or not, it does not matter if I try "thinking it away".

The absolute only time I get some measure of freedom from the pain is when I am asleep - and if death is similar to this, then death is where I ultimately wish to be - without of course further causing more pain to myself. Killing yourself is one thing, dying peacefully is a far, far greater challenge. I do not want to die in a manner that harms an innocent, such as a conductor witnessing the unsightly death on railroad tracks.

@Admin wrote:Glad to know that supporting euthanasia under some circumstances isn't contradictory with trying to save people from suicide. I was worried that was contradictory.

I can understand preventing an act of suicide that is in public, but a private act that does not directly harm another is a human rights violation in my view. If someone literally went to the effort of physically preventing my own euthanasia, I would view that as prolonging my suffering - suffice to say, I would be one upset chump.
Thank you for answering my question, and sharing your insights. You're right that it is difficult to die peacefully.

Ideally, I'd like for others to live, and I see euthanasia as an absolute last resort. There are few situations where there is no way out, and many problems are temporary, even if they don't appear to be. I'm especially against methods that harm others. I've heard of conductors being traumatized by suicides caused by someone letting themselves get hit by the train, and the conductors know that they can't stop the train in time.

And recently, I've heard of someone, some former celebrity whose name I forgot, who attempted suicide by driving into traffic, but she survived, and everyone in the car she collided with died. That was so selfish that she tried to take her life in a way that'd likely hurt or kill others in the process, and it did.

Here's a recent news article about euthanasia in a country where it is legal: http://www.inquisitr.com/2196375/healthy-woman-die-doctor-assisted-euthanasia-suicidal-thoughts/source/obj/

What do you think of this process? The subject of the article said that she wanted to die since childhood and is described as constantly being in mental pain, but notes that her relatives would be hurt over losing her. Is the process of speaking with multiple doctors necessary because of it being a permanent decision, or is it intrusive?
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverPure on Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:57 pm

Quoted post:

@Admin wrote:
@ForeverPure wrote:
@Admin wrote:
@ForeverPure wrote:

Thank you for answering my question, and sharing your insights. You're right that it is difficult to die peacefully.

Ideally, I'd like for others to live, and I see euthanasia as an absolute last resort. There are few situations where there is no way out, and many problems are temporary, even if they don't appear to be. I'm especially against methods that harm others. I've heard of conductors being traumatized by suicides caused by someone letting themselves get hit by the train, and the conductors know that they can't stop the train in time.

And recently, I've heard of someone, some former celebrity whose name I forgot, who attempted suicide by driving into traffic, but she survived, and everyone in the car she collided with died. That was so selfish that she tried to take her life in a way that'd likely hurt or kill others in the process, and it did.

Here's a recent news article about euthanasia in a country where it is legal: http://www.inquisitr.com/2196375/healthy-woman-die-doctor-assisted-euthanasia-suicidal-thoughts/source/obj/

What do you think of this process? The subject of the article said that she wanted to die since childhood and is described as constantly being in mental pain, but notes that her relatives would be hurt over losing her. Is the process of speaking with multiple doctors necessary because of it being a permanent decision, or is it intrusive?

If her relatives would be truly hurt by "losing her", they should think about the idea of forcing her to live - and therefore forcing her to feel pain (torture). And if they cannot find the immorality in that, then it is them who is truly sick.

It is definitely honourable for Belgium to offer such a service, however doctors should not be the judge. A truly suicidal person, who fears absolutely nothing except living for a single moment longer is not going to care about the opinions of some pseudoscientist who claims they can determine who is "sane" and who is not. A truly suicidal individual is going to go at any length necessary to ensure their death and by getting in their way - people run the risk of getting harmed themselves.

It is definitely more rational to provide every human being on the planet free access to a simple to use drug that will put them to death as quickly and peacefully as possible. Optionally, the drug could introduce a euphoric feeling to the individual, while still sedating them - this may hopefully take the edge off (the natural instinct of self-preservation).
ForeverPure

Back to top Go down

Post by x Nacht Klaue x on Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:04 pm

Have you always had the idea that it's okay with euthanasia?
x Nacht Klaue x

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverPure on Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:07 pm

☆x Pure Life x☆ wrote:Have you always had the idea that it's okay with euthanasia?

When I was younger I thought it was "illogical" to want to cease to exist and that it would only be "logical" to desire to live forever. However, ever since I have become aware of the kind of pain possible through existence, it has revolutionized my opinion of life. I also believe that if one receives assistance to live, they should also be able to receive assistance to die.

Besides, there are too many humans anyway, most societies can do with a lot less.
ForeverPure

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:03 pm

I was reading a news article about a death in a nursing home, and that topic and its comments reminded me of this topic. Some people who work in nursing homes and hospitals know that there are people essentially put their relatives there to die and hardly ever see them. The workers know those are often the same people insisting everything be done to have their old and sick relatives live for as possible, no matter how painful and invasive the procedure without that relative's input, and no matter if it doesn't improve their quality of life or even makes it worse for them.

I can't tell if they think they're doing what's best for their old and sick relatives, or if it's a matter of convenience to themselves? I know some other people who oppose that, saying they wouldn't want the last memory their relatives have of them to be of one when they were in pain or unconscious.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by x Nacht Klaue x on Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:02 am

A 94-year old woman could not take care of hereself anymore, she lived alone in a apartment. Her daughter wanted her to be at nursing home but the county/muncipality said no to that. You can use translate google if you want to read about it http://www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/ost/samma-behov-olika-svar

People were protesting, and she had to struggle to get what she wanted. At the end they let her 94-year old mother be at nursing home.

The elder people in many nursing homes in Sweden are badly treated. It's well known because we read it often on the news. It's very uppsetting.

I remember this news below, which still upset me when I read about it.

Demented Britta Eklund, 84, had only two months left in life when she was humiliated at the retirement home.

Healthcare assistant wanted to punish her and pushed up Brittas pooped skirt into her face.

"My mother became very upset and offended. It was terrible, says her son Eric Eklund."

I think people put their parents at nursing homes for different reasons.

If people are able to help their parents, I really think that's the right thing to do is to help them. I'm very against nursing homes. If someone is not able (if they are sick), and there is no relatives or anyone else except nursing homes, then they should look into what kind of nursing home it is, if it's known to be good or not. Better to know for sure if it is a good home for their parents.

I know that some can't cope with their parents, they feel that they are bitter, ungrateful, etc.. and can't cope with them. It's dusturbing to read if the adults should get paid for taking care of their parents while their parents took care of them for free.
x Nacht Klaue x

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:44 am

I didn't know that nursing homes could be so bad there too. Sad Not all nursing homes are bad, but many are because they're underfunded, the staff are overworked (which leads to burnout and neglecting the residents), and some don't do background checks on the staff to weed out abusive people.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:15 am

I have no real opinion on it yet. I think ultimately, people can do whatever they want with themselves, and if they wish to die, so be it. Legalizing it may bring some more problems that weren't there before (For example, people rich enough to have influenze may now murder people and make it seem like it was agreed-upon euthanasia), but will also solve some problems for suffering people. Like everything, it's a double-edged sword.

Personally, I still very much wish to live, or maybe I'm just too scared to die, same thing in the end. But, and of course this can't be said about everyone, I think that generally, people who want to die actually just want to stop suffering, or even simply cease existing, thinking death will achieve that. Being agnostic, I'm not sure about that yet.

About those left behind feeling sad about those that killed themselves, I believe that's their problem. They will simply have to learn to deal with it. It might sound harsh, but we're all alone in the end, and the quicker we realize that, the less suffering it will cause. We're not even truly sad for those that left, we're sad because we're alone now. Our brains have to reconfigure themselves and fill in all the new gaps, which will cause us to lose calories, something we have evolved to avoid, so it will cause a pain response, labeled by us as "loss".

Of course that's easy to just say like that, since I myself at the moment couldn't deal with loneliness, but someday I will have to, and that's probably simply the harsh truth.

When someone suffers in any way, they need to help themselves. If they think they can't, others should help them. And if simply nothing works anymore...well, as I said, it's up to each inividual to decide, but I do believe that we should try everything we can to make it better in life, because we're alive, and know nothing of death, so we should try dealing with that which we know about first.

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:12 pm

I've known at least one person who did take their own life, and while I was sad for their family and friends, the more immediate sadness that I felt when I heard about their death was about this individual, and that they had been suffering from a situation that felt so dire that death felt like the only way out. That person was a friend of a friend, or a friendly acquaintance I had seen only a few times. I didn't know much about their situation and what they tried to do to cope, or if they tried everything possible and it didn't work, but it is tragic.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverPure on Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:45 pm

@Admin wrote:I've known at least one person who did take their own life, and while I was sad for their family and friends, the more immediate sadness that I felt when I heard about their death was about this individual, and that they had been suffering from a situation that felt so dire that death felt like the only way out. That person was a friend of a friend, or a friendly acquaintance I had seen only a few times. I didn't know much about their situation and what they tried to do to cope, or if they tried everything possible and it didn't work, but it is tragic.

I hope the process of suicide was as peaceful as it could be, I know the people in my vicinity would rather watch me suffer than have the courage to help me peacefully die. If it were in my power and legal, I would be honoured to provide euthanasia for all those who request it. Those in enough pain to desire to reject life know exactly what I am talking about.
ForeverPure

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:24 am

I don't know enough people to know anyone that killed themselves, but I'm sorry to hear that knowing someone who did hurts you, admin. Just hope that, wherever this person is now, it's better than before. We can do nothing else about it anyway. 

FoeverPure wrote:I know the people in my vicinity would rather watch me suffer than have the courage to help me peacefully die.

Why do you think that?

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverPure on Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:37 am

@Stars.of.Tears wrote:I don't know enough people to know anyone that killed themselves, but I'm sorry to hear that knowing someone who did hurts you, admin. Just hope that, wherever this person is now, it's better than before. We can do nothing else about it anyway. 

FoeverPure wrote:I know the people in my vicinity would rather watch me suffer than have the courage to help me peacefully die.

Why do you think that?

They have made it very clear.
ForeverPure

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:53 pm

@ForeverPure wrote:
@Stars.of.Tears wrote:I don't know enough people to know anyone that killed themselves, but I'm sorry to hear that knowing someone who did hurts you, admin. Just hope that, wherever this person is now, it's better than before. We can do nothing else about it anyway. 

Why do you think that?

They have made it very clear.

Were these friends, family or other peers? I'm still trying to understand this, but did they have malicious intentions, or did they think they were acting in your best interest, like how some people want to keep loved ones alive on life support for as long as possible? It's a common habit in people to think living longer must be better, regardless of the quality of life? No one likes the idea of someone they care for dying "too soon".

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverPure on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:22 pm

I believe they think their acting in my best interests. My wishes to be euthanized are certainly not in haste, after-all, before I had experienced this kind of pain, I wanted to live forever. It was only after years of chronic pain that I slowly and painfully realized the kind of suffering life can bring on.

I would consider myself "suicidal", but not in the contemporary definition, since I am not willing to further cause any pain to myself (not willing to hang or overdose for example). Risks of "self-suicide" are far too high, I would rather deal with my current condition than risk making it worse provided an attempt fail. Regardless, the research I have done makes it rather clear that seeking a peaceful death is futile without professional assistance.

Until it is legal in my country to seek a peaceful death, I can only seek to make my life as less painful as possible.
ForeverPure

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 30, 2016 7:47 am

I think that death is the ultimate destination of the universe. It wants to be in a form that pressures it the least (entropy). The thing is though, that it has to be a natural development, not forced, because force isn't peace and therefore isn't true death. So, when we are in the lucky position to be free to choose, we should try dying when we are absolutely ready for it, when there isn't a single doubt of it in our mind. Wanting to die when in pain usually means your motivation lies in wanting to escape the pain, not actually dying. This leads to a conflict and, if you believe in that which you probably don't, "reincarnation". I'm not saying this as if it were a fact, as I don't know enough to say that it is, it's simply a speculation and another perspective on things.

What I'm trying to say is that if you want to go through with euthanasia, you need to be in complete peace with yourself despite the pain, since whatever you feel at the time of death will be the last thing you feel. Are you?

Besides all of that...I'm really sorry about what you're going though, but I understand. I also sometimes just want all the fear and (health) problems to go away, but I don't think this is the way to make it better. If you're a materialist, I can understand why you would think that though. Ideally, a solution to the health problem should be found if possible, since this is a conflict that can only be resolved while alive. Is there really nothing that can be done about this constant pain? That really sounds horrible. I hope that it becomes better. Or that, at the very least, you can distract yourself until the time of your death, whenever that may be and through whatever means it may happen.

I wish I could help more than just write some wannabe-inspirational text here, but I hate seeing people suffer so much that death seems like the only way out, and I don't know what else to do about it. I just hope you find peace somehow.

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverPure on Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:47 am

Consciousness is the ability to experience stimuli, I have no desire to experience stimuli. The only purpose of stimuli in the present is to distract oneself from painful experiences.

I have seen multiple doctors about my condition, all of which, despite their best efforts, have not made the matter significantly better.

Regardless, I do not view life the same way you do. I do not put a value on consciousness. I do not fear death as death is the end of consciousness.

Furthermore, I think you misinterpret my feelings. I am not depressed or having conflicting thoughts. I am in complete agreement with my philosophy.

I could make a similar argument about you having fears about death. If death must come naturally to you, then maybe you should reject all technology that artificially extends your life. Furthermore, natural deaths are usually the most painful forms of death imaginable and often involve dying from disease or infection.
ForeverPure

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:31 am

@ForeverPure wrote:Consciousness is the ability to experience stimuli, I have no desire to experience stimuli. The only purpose of stimuli in the present is to distract oneself from painful experiences.

I agree with your definition, and neither do I. I simply don't think that, or rather I'm unsure if, physical death is true death. I have no way of proving that, but neither do you, regarding your stance. Well, it's not like I'd want to prove it, as I'm agnostic and am therefore unsure about it too. But I'm slightly leaning towards this stance.

I have seen multiple doctors about my condition, all of which, despite their best efforts, have not made the matter significantly better.

Your sickness is completely unknown then? That, or not everything has been tested. I certainly hope it's the latter. But even if it's the former, maybe someday you'll find out what causes it. By this I am in no way suggesting "waiting it out" in pain. If you wish to get euthanized, you may certainly do so, it is after all your life and your decision.

Furthermore, I think you misinterpret my feelings. I am not depressed or having conflicting thoughts. I am in complete agreement with my philosophy.

I didn't mean to suggest that you were in any emotional pain, or indecisive, I was merely asking if you were indecisive about this. As you have stated that you are not, then so it is. And I'm glad to hear that.

I could make a similar argument about you having fears about death. If death must come naturally to you, then maybe you should reject all technology that artificially extends your life. Furthermore, natural deaths are usually the most painful forms of death imaginable and often involve dying from disease or infection.

You misinterpreted what I said into the opposite of what I meant. I believe nature (You interpreted this word to mean "the behavior of living beings", so I will now do so as well) to be a brutal and sad place, and I despise most things people deem "natural". With "natural development" of death I meant dying without pain, where death goes through painless stages until completion. Like falling asleep, for example. Euthanasia and a disease-free natural death are probably the only known ways to achieve that. I'm not against euthanasia, I was just talking about being at peace with it, being ready for it, and doubts.

If there is any doubt or fear during the stages of falling asleep, you immediately wake up again in shock. In order to prevent that, you need to be completely relaxed. But what happens if you die and this doubt or fear suddenly arises? Well, either that shock "wakes you up" again (reincarnation, amongst other possibilities) or, to take the materialistic approach, you cease existing. But the last thing you would feel then wouldn't be very pleasant. That's what I meant.

But as you've stated that you're not unsure, this isn't an issue.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next