Thinking vs feeling

3 posters

Go down

Thinking vs feeling Empty Thinking vs feeling

Post by Biscotti Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:39 am

I know this is an aspect of MBTI but that's not really what I'm getting at.

Something I've been thinking in regards to romance lately is emotional thinking. Which culminated today when I watched "It's a wonderful life" for the first time.

There was a romance in it and originally I was just going to rant about it on one of the dedicated venting pages on this forum. It had a lot of ugly and and bad, but a little bit of good. Depending on your perspective. It's the core conflict I want to bring up.

The movie had a fair bit of emotional thinking in it. And at times it was interesting. You know being overly self-aware about everything is neither entertaining nor engaging. Being spontaneous, emotional and "feeling"-type thinking are not inherently bad. But my two main conflicts with this type of thinking is that 
1. Thinking emotionally makes you very easily manipulated. It's why propoganda appeals to emotions. "The immigrants are threatening you're livelihood.", "The anti-abortionists are threatening your choices".
Of course those aren't great examples because I'm not getting into the actual emotional wording here, because it can be a bit offensive. But I'm sure those examples bring up memories of what I mean. And "pro-life" isn't above using emotional statements either.
2. In addition this type of "emotional", "passionate" thinking for some reason gets equated to the pithole of sexuality and lust. Which is so illogical it's not even illogical, it drops logic completely and just becomes "ill"². I have established elsewhere that sexuality IS manipulative so this may just be an extension of my first point.
3. It tends to be more self-centered now that I think about it. (This was added in late as an edit so pardon that I don't go too in-depth on it)

The male even at one point said he didn't want to get married, like his emotions and logic were fighting. This also may be why the romance in this movie sucked. It was based all on emotion. The two characters didn't even really seem like they had a lot in common. (If you want an expanded analysis expand the spoiler below.)
Spoiler:

However I feel that this gets too far into subjectivity and my own opinions. If someone were to prefer unhinged emotional thinking because it's fun, dreamy or nostalgic (I have some hills near where I live that give me this feeling. No reason for it.) then my point of it making you easily manipulated can be handwaved pretty easily.

Is the allure or acceptance of this part of why people want "romance"? But does "romance" only use this type of thinking? I wouldn't say so. Maybe sexuality? I'm hesitant to say it explains sexuality. The main reason is because I don't believe the amount of people who are sex-positive equals the amount of people who would prefer exclusively this type of thinking especially to the extreme levels that admit sexuality. (See the point above marked with ²)

In short the balance between emotional in-the-moment choices and thinking, logical consistent choices which don't necessarily have to be exclusive to each other, and maybe isn't even a model you follow. But I think plays a part in romance.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, this also plays into what psychologists claim are two types of thinking. "instincts" or in other words "First-impression" thinking, compared to cognitive thinking.
However I'm not sure if they are EXACTLY the same. It's a similar paradigm.
Biscotti
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Thinking vs feeling Empty Re: Thinking vs feeling

Post by xenosimiana Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:34 am

Biscotti wrote:However I feel that this gets too far into subjectivity and my own opinions. If someone were to prefer unhinged emotional thinking because it's fun, dreamy or nostalgic (I have some hills near where I live that give me this feeling. No reason for it.) then my point of it making you easily manipulated can be handwaved pretty easily. 
It can be somewhat handwaved, but I think that if someone prefers it, they still open themselves up for manipulation if those thoughts are encouraged to be acted on. I don't see it as too much of a problem if a person knows that they're unhinged, but I think it's the lack of analysis of them and trying to prevent them from being acted on (if that makes any sense).
To touch on those hills, it could be something subconscious, they're beautiful (I'm assuming, don't know if you view them like that) to you and there're a type of landform that's high ground, so maybe they remind you of the various aspirations you have (one I can guess is for sex-negativity to be accepted) that would one day be achieved, something like a utopia.

xenosimiana

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:17 pm

The hills, no that's not the reason. It sounds a bit like "dream-intrepreting" what you're doing. Which I don't particularly believe in, though it can be fun. If I were to describe it, it's 
1. A mix of a certain atmosphere. (You can derrive a lot of stuff from atmosphere. Make a book, story, song, or picture that envokes that feeling. Which is what I do sometimes. I'm aware this sounds uptight, but when I do base things off of an inexplainable feeling or sleep-dream, I do wonder if it's hypocritical, since those are technically instances of manipulation, albeit pretty harmless. The issue is what is "harmless" and what is "harmful" now. Wouldn't those thresholds vary from person to person?)
2. Or maybe stirring some lost memories of a dream I had forgotten when I was a kid (And by dream I mean sleep-dream or feeling.)

Maybe this explains what I mean better. I'm aware I sound like a total conspiracy theorist, watching out for "unseen manipulation", but it's what I think about sometimes.
Biscotti
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Pravotoop Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:34 am

Actually, I think conspiracy theorists can discern better when they're being manipulated.

There was someone that told me that the people who think they're immune to propaganda are more susceptible to believing it because they don't consciously process it (No source for this besides this person's words). Of course, some conspiracies are quite out there in terms of content, but that doesn't discount actual conspiracies (such as medicine being a corrupt business in the US; it should be obvious; where there's money, there's corruption.)

Pravotoop

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum