Self-improvement thread

Go down

Self-improvement thread

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:12 pm

What kind of improvements do you want to make in your life? You can post your goals and progress with them here.

I'm trying to improve my time-management skills. I've been very busy with other things that I haven't been posting here much lately, and there are still some projects related to this site I've been wanting to work on, but haven't. It's not that I don't have the time, but I haven't been managing my time as well as I'd like to.

Admin

https://fortressresistingsexualsociety.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Self-improvement thread

Post by Biscotti on Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:46 pm

I am nearing perfection! It is true!
I just need to be infinetely more productive, Ever so.

Does productivity seem to coorelate with having peers? Because I have lost all mine.
I am on the rise though.

I have projects in mind, varying on degrees of importance (Some creative endevours, some antisexual endevours). Some I do not know how to accomplish however.
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:17 pm

Do you mean a positive or negative correlation? Having peers means less time for working on projects, but being productive would be a matter of time management skills. Whether you're introverted or extroverted may also be a factor when around peers: Does being around peers make you feel recharged, or drained and that you need to recharge alone?

I'm trying to work on my productivity too.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:29 pm

Positive.
Through competition, or just the drive to show off something you made to them. Helps with motivation.
Or through synergy. Also allows for group projects, if those are needed.

I don't think it neccessarily has to do with introvertness/extrovertness.
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:42 pm

I didn't think of it like that, but it's a good idea! The projects that we do here aren't done single-handedly, and having input on them helps with motivation! When I asked those questions, I was thinking more about interacting with peers in-person instead of online, and more about projects started on your own, and if it feels like a struggle to maintain both.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti on Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:08 pm

Oh yes, when I responded I was talking about in-person primarily.
I was also talking about both single and group projects. For single projects, having peers may encourage you to make something to impress.
For group projects, like when I was in a group in college and we were making a project, carrying your weight on the projects, and helping to cooridinate roles was also helpful.

But anyways back to time-management. I went through a phase back in high school where I was super uptight about time wasting. If I had to wait, somewhere not doing something, it would be torture. But now,well it takes an hour to get to work, and over an hour to get back. I don't have that luxury at the moment. What sort of time management problems do you have?
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:07 pm

Do you think having a schedule for everything would help? An hour of this and an hour of that?
I never got into that style of scheduling too hard.
What occaisonally can trip up a time-management plan for me is if I run out of inspiration.
You know- stuff like mowing the lawn, or doing a repetitive task is EASY to stick on schedule.
But storyboarding something, figuring out sound design, writing a story, organizing something, that's all subjected to how well you know what you're doing, or what to try.
There's some way to get around that. One time I had a week to make a video, and I just pounded through it, making snap decisions. The end-result was a complete thing, but I do feel I could have done better on some parts (That fault could have just been from lack-of-experience though)
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:15 pm

There's an overall pattern to what times of the day I work on projects the most, but I don't have a strict schedule, because there may be days where I can write a lot in one sitting, and other days I try, but struggle a lot. On the days I'm struggling, it's tempting to do something else. If I adopted a stricter schedule, would trying to do something else if I run out of inspiration early work, or would it better to still try and write something at all during that block of time?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti on Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:37 pm

Hmm, I don't know.
For writing, just writing, I find it easy to just write even if I don't have it all figured out. Because writing is low-effort write right? 
You can edit it afterwards. Or depending on what it is, you could release it half-finished and ask for input on it.
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti on Wed Nov 02, 2016 11:43 am

Coming back to time-management I've found that this has becoming increasingly a problem. Has it gotten any better for you admin?

Some principls that might work out

A. More finality, go with what you know
B. Efficiency, go with what accomplishes the most

Sometimes these work against each other though.
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:48 pm

It's slightly better. The most difficult part of writing is organizing the content, and how to make it flow the best. For projects started here, I'm okay with releasing it half-finished and asking for input on it, but otherwise I want to be able to finish it.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Biscotti on Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Alright I'm going to blog-post a bit, a new strategy to complete projects faster.

Years ago my laptop's hard drive broke. (And ironically it is the same laptop I'm using now. BUT HOW?? Surprised Surprised). This was bad, because I needed to complete a video, but now I had no laptop.
So what I did, was I used the families desktop.
I got up very early every day. And I went down, and used the computer to make my video. I had limited time to do so, but I did it.
And after a week was done, I had finished the video.

The video...is not one of my best works, but it was still a technically impressive video for the simple one week I spent making it. (In other words I pin the fault on the artistic vision.)

In other words, what went on was that because of the time limit it caused me to make sacrifices and shortcuts, and to actively think about time-saving strategies and shortcuts (Such as multi-tasking, creating multi-servicable assets and simplified movement).

And this strategy is the one I want to adopt again. Hard deadlines like this, and a similar work-strategy.

In order to do that I'll need to do a few things.
-Know my schedule more intimately. Basically my mode of operation rn is to simply work on projects for the next week. In other words I'm really only looking a week ahead on things. However if I want to schedule time-frames for projects I'll need to know how much time I'll have in the near weeks that I can control (In other words, isn't taken up by assigned work in my classes). A more time-consuming project should be put on a more free week.

Projects that I intend to schedule using this
-Sexuality is not the default (MAY not be this week actually)
-Unrevealed forum topic for this forum (MAY be done this week)
-Youtube video (Hard to say the timeframe for this. I'd love regular releases, but with the amount of other stuff..)
-Personal video not for this forum (I'm really curious how this will play out. Will be more time-consuming than others, and also less of a priority.)
-Other peronsal things like tv shows I watch or game stuff. Yes, scheduling fun-activities are a part of scheduling. Either to finish things, or to figure how much you'll throttle when doing another project.
-Research blockchain
Biscotti

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down