Bobbb1
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Sexualization of Children - Page 2 Empty Re: Sexualization of Children

Post by Admin Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:25 pm

SCH0206 wrote:
Admin wrote:
Panache wrote:That had me cracking up. Yes, there have got to be easier ways for people to get their priorities straight!

I'm reminded of an Aldous Huxley quote: "An intellectual is a person who has discovered something more interesting than sex." Perhaps it also applies for appearance - "an intellectual is someone who's discovered something more interesting than their reflection." Smile

I'm really glad you've got people around you who don't pressure you like that anymore, and who are less obsessed with sexual things.

I agree with that quote! It reminds me, it's ironic that as people who don't want sex, we may be told we're boring and don't have anything to live for, but people who are constantly seeking sex, and obsessed with it, and don't seem to have any other interests, aren't seen as the boring ones?

Wow, Admin!  That's a very thought-provoking statement.  I have never viewed it that way until now.
Thanks! Very Happy Part of the reason why I'm aware of that observation though, is because of those people who tried to push me into sex. They told me I'm boring for not wanting to try anything. I was insulted that they said that, but I didn't want to be shamed or guilt-tripped into caving in.

I found them unapproachable when they were focused on sex, instead of talking about the things we had in common, and the interests we shared.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Panache Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:31 pm

Admin wrote:It reminds me, it's ironic that as people who don't want sex, we may be told we're boring and don't have anything to live for, but people who are constantly seeking sex, and obsessed with it, and don't seem to have any other interests, aren't seen as the boring ones?
Absolutely. People who are caught up in an addictive process, can't fathom what life would be like without it. They think they'd want to die if they couldn't have X anymore. But from the perspective of an outsider who's not tipsy or in love or taking drugs, it's obvious there's no real substance there; it's all about the high. We hopefully get our meaning in life from things other than instant gratification.

The "boring" thing reminds me of another Aldous Huxley quote: "Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the overcompensations for misery." The way eating an apple is just so not worth it when there's the possibility of eating a piece of cake instead; the supranormal stimulus of a high desensitizes people to actual pleasures, so people who are living more temperately get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction from things that are boring and stupid when you're just waiting for your next high.

It also seems to me that finding things boring is not exactly a lack of stimulation, but a lack of consciousness or awareness. A yogi can be completely absorbed sitting alone in an empty room; someone else can be eating pizza and drinking coke and watching TV while texting somebody and with friends all around and still be bored.
Panache
Panache

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:00 pm

Panache wrote:
Admin wrote:It reminds me, it's ironic that as people who don't want sex, we may be told we're boring and don't have anything to live for, but people who are constantly seeking sex, and obsessed with it, and don't seem to have any other interests, aren't seen as the boring ones?
Absolutely. People who are caught up in an addictive process, can't fathom what life would be like without it. They think they'd want to die if they couldn't have X anymore. But from the perspective of an outsider who's not tipsy or in love or taking drugs, it's obvious there's no real substance there; it's all about the high. We hopefully get our meaning in life from things other than instant gratification.

The "boring" thing reminds me of another Aldous Huxley quote: "Actual happiness always looks pretty squalid in comparison with the overcompensations for misery." The way eating an apple is just so not worth it when there's the possibility of eating a piece of cake instead; the supranormal stimulus of a high desensitizes people to actual pleasures, so people who are living more temperately get a lot of pleasure and satisfaction from things that are boring and stupid when you're just waiting for your next high.

It also seems to me that finding things boring is not exactly a lack of stimulation, but a lack of consciousness or awareness. A yogi can be completely absorbed sitting alone in an empty room; someone else can be eating pizza and drinking coke and watching TV while texting somebody and with friends all around and still be bored.

Great examples! I responded, continuing it in a new thread here: https://iamfortress.forumotion.com/t100-instant-gratification

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Panache Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:10 pm

Thank you. I was wondering if that was getting too off topic...
Panache
Panache

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbb1 Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:53 pm

Bobbb1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbb1 Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:41 pm

Warning: girls dancing like prostitues in the video, same dance as their idols... such as Beyonce...

I tried to find a video that open the eyes of the blind people. Those donkeys who thinks it's cute when girls dance in this way. Their parents have no shame. Disgusting.

I tried to share such videos before but then after 1 minute or so deleted it. It's easier for other people to share these videos and then talk about it, but I can't because of the men. I know there are lesbians too, but still..

Last edited by x Nacht Klaue x on Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:25 am; edited 6 times in total

Bobbb1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbb1 Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:45 pm

This is also a good video, this woman is clever.

Bobbb1

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:56 am

Music videos are are probably the most sexualized form of mainstream media, and it's disturbing that a lot of parents are allowing their children to imitate what they see in those videos. Why are parents allowing that?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SCH0206 Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:53 am

Admin wrote:Music videos are are probably the most sexualized form of mainstream media, and it's disturbing that a lot of parents are allowing their children to imitate what they see in those videos. Why are parents allowing that?

I have no idea, but it's very irresponsible parenting.

SCH0206

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbb1 Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:41 am

Admin wrote:Music videos are are probably the most sexualized form of mainstream media, and it's disturbing that a lot of parents are allowing their children to imitate what they see in those videos. Why are parents allowing that?
I'm not really sure.. maybe it's those parents who want to live through their children.. :/ I wonder if they have any dad and what they think of that. It's really sick how they can let their children sing about sex.

Last edited by ☆x Pure Life x☆ on Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Bobbb1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:54 am

To the OP and the first video: Well, to be honest, I don't think there's anything sexual about nakedness, or anything besides sex itself, so I don't care how much or little anyone wears regardless of their age, as long as it's weather-appropriate I guess, for their own sake. But I'm not stupid and know very well how other people see this unfortunately, so I guess the question is if you want to throw yourself in front of the wolves with or without a deer-meat scented perfume attached to you (Even though they'll eat you anyway if they're hungry). So, in a way, it's about protecting yourself (and your children? since that's the current topic) from people who DO see nakedness as something sexual. I guess wearing lots and covering yourself up is like wearing protective gear, even if it doesn't help, because if someone wants what's underneath, they won't care. Which is exactly why I don't think it matters anyway in the end. Either you have innocent thoughts when looking at someone, or you don't, what do the clothes have to do with anything? I guess it's more convenient to blame something outside of oneself.

I also find it ironic when people like the one in the video (who I assume to be sexual?) want to protect "THE CHILDREN" so much it hurts to watch suddenly stop caring as soon as these children reach a certain growth-level, after which they are suddenly happily sexualized by said people. Are they suddenly not the same person anymore? Are humans only worthy of a life free of being objectified as long as they don't make your genitals twitch yet? (Addressing people like the one in the video) This world is without true morals. Sad.

I don't think the dance movements (if there are any) or imagery themselves in such videos are the problem, unless a sexual act is explicitly shown (have we already come this far? I rarely watch popular music videos), but what we associate with them. People have been taught to associate so much with sexuality. I wish we associated nothing but sex itself with sex, that way we would have a lot more freedom for artistic expression, without anything somehow being related to sex. Well, sex is traumatic, so obviously many things will remind people of it, which is typical of traumas. I mean, people don't constantly relate things they see to pleasant memories they had, right? It's always bad ones. You never see someone screaming "Oh, look, that woman eating that banana in a weird way reminds me of eating banana split ice cream with my friends in the park, good times!" in the same way a shark attack survivor won't be reminded of the fun times they had as a kid splashing in the bathtub when they see water. In a way, people are proving my points daily without even trying.

Anyway. Of course nothing exists in a vacuum, and these people making such videos for example sometimes very cleary want it to come across that way, and I don't think intended message should be completely ignored, but it shouldn't become the whole of your interpretation of the art either, you should probably simply be aware of it. And each case has to be seen individually, I think, so even if a child, or anyone, really, does dance to something that was intended to be interpreted sexually that it saw in a video, doesn't mean the person itself sees it that way. If the person has non-sexual thoughts, then that's all there is to it. At the end of the day, it's nothing but body movements, after all. We shouldn't see movement, art, or our bodies sexually, is what I'm meaning to say. Hopefully my thoughts are coming across right. Probably not.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbb1 Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:30 am

Last edited by Sigh... on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bobbb1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:13 pm

Why do you think that I disagree with you, exactly? Did I ever say that I think sexualization is okay? I obviously do not think that it is. I simply think that there's nothing sexual about nakedness, and that attitudes towards the human body are to blame (sexualizing it), not the human body itself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbb1 Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:01 pm

Sexualization in Children's Media

http://safeshare.tv/v/ss5698518aa8f6b

Bobbb1

Back to top Go down

Post by ForeverPure Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:07 pm

Stars.of.Tears wrote:Why do you think that I disagree with you, exactly? Did I ever say that I think sexualization is okay? I obviously do not think that it is. I simply think that there's nothing sexual about nakedness, and that attitudes towards the human body are to blame (sexualizing it), not the human body itself.

I can understand what you mean. The human body is definitely not a sexual object on its own, although like you said it has obviously been perverted to appear as such.
ForeverPure
ForeverPure

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:23 pm

☆x Pure Life x☆ wrote:Sexualization in Children's Media

http://safeshare.tv/v/ss5698518aa8f6b

That video gives some very concise definitions of what "sexualization" is, and what we mean. The two that stood out to me the most were "when sexuality is inappropriately imposed on a person" and "when a person's worth is based on their sex appeal".

Here's an article encouraging parents to better communicate with their children, in many ways, including about the shows they watch in order to help counter this issue in their childrens' lives: http://www.pbs.org/parents/experts/archive/2009/01/protecting-children-from-a-sex.html

Some of the comments are insightful, but some others are quite disturbing. Some commenters mentioned small children talking about "dating" because they see it in the shows that they watch.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SCH0206 Fri Jan 15, 2016 5:34 pm

"Some of the comments are insightful, but some others are quite disturbing. Some commenters mentioned small children talking about "dating" because they see it in the shows that they watch."

Oh, that reminds me of my preteen self. Certain television shows influenced my crush phase, that one's worth is based on having a boyfriend or girlfriend, and it didn't help that my peers in school poked fun at my appearance. Some kids would tell me that a certain boy wanted to go out with me, then laugh since it wasn't true. Thank goodness that those years, and my phase are over.

SCH0206

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:27 pm

I looked at some more of the comments in the article I linked. Good thing that phase is over. That's awful you went through all of that. Do you think you may have just been imitating what you saw on TV, even if you did have a phase of wanting a partner? Did you think it was it a genuine want, or rather thinking you wanted one because of what you saw on TV?

I remember as a child watching a lot of the Disney movies, which showed the prince and princess getting married and "living happily ever after". That sort of made me think that marriage is supposed to be like a real-life fairy tale, and I also remember growing up with shows that mentioned dating. The way I understood dating, it was just going to candle-light dinners, kissing, going to the movies, and things like that. I thought that'd all happen and I'd find the right person when the time was right, but I didn't think any further into it.

Years later, I realized from others how sexualized dating actually is, and became disgusted with it.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SCH0206 Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:43 pm

I think it was a mix of television, peers, and my own insecurities that influenced my phase. I thought having a boyfriend would be nice because it was "normal" and I could have someone to like me for who I am since I was a school outcast and I didn't get much support from family members either. I wish I had someone in my life tell me that self-worth should come from within rather than be dependent on another person. I had to do that on my own.

SCH0206

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbb1 Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:08 pm

Last edited by Sigh... on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bobbb1

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbb1 Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:32 am

Last edited by Sigh... on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:50 pm; edited 7 times in total

Bobbb1

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:01 am

I need to make sure I understood this correctly; is this a debate over whether any dance moves are inherently sexual, instead of just being sexualized (i.e: sexuality is imposed on them to the point of being seen as inherently sexual)? Either way, it's disturbing that there are children are doing those kind of dance moves at such an early age.

All of those sex offenses are from predatory people taking advantage of Disney's "family friendly" image. I've seen from some different sources the claims that Miley Cyrus and other former child stars that worked for Disney ended up turning out the way they did as a way of rebellion. They felt stifled by Disney's family friendly image that they rebelled by turning as family unfriendly as they could. What do you think of those claims?

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread. Disagreements are fine, but not if it devolves into insults or if it escalates.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobbb1 Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:31 am

Last edited by Sigh... on Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bobbb1

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:40 am

☆x Pure Life x☆ wrote:I made very long and good post and everything disappeard when I clicked "send" Sad I'm so stupid. I'm too lazy to use text editor and this is what happens. Now I become so tired that I will not make any posts until few weeks. It took long time for me to write all that. Oh SIGHHHHHHHH.

Ok, i'm upset and need to take a break. I can't write all that again because it was much Sad(((((((((((((((((

I will probably visit the forum but not make any new post until it feels better, right now I feel "a bigh sigh".

That's awful that happened. Sad I would've wanted to see your post. I've always found it useful to type everything in a text editor first and then copy it onto the forum. I'm sorry to hear that you've encountered that technical issue multiple times. Do you at least remember part of what you wanted to say until you can re-type everything?

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum